Thursday, December 01, 2005

Too much to say

Yeah, so I just started writing in here and then Matt came and interrupted me with something a bit more interesting. He asked me if I'd been in his room today, which I hadn't, and then got me to come see why he was asking. It looks as thought the big flourescent black light he had in one of his fixtures must have exploded, because it was certainly no longer in the fixture and there sure was broken glass - purple glass - all over his carpet, bed and in his fish tank. I think our house (or at least his room) must be haunted. I actually once saw the gate on our deck open and close by itself, too, which was really creepy.

Anyways, that's completely an aside. What I began talking about was the fact that so much has gone on over the last few weeks and as of yet I haven't commented on it. I was kind of counting on being able to do so at work, but the one day I had access to the Internet there it was really busy, so no dice.

To begin with, the tour was pretty amazing. The show in Saskatoon was a definite highlight for me. Being able play for, let alone see, so many of my friends and so many people I haven't seen in such a long time was just amazing. I was really glad that my Dad got to see us, too. He seems to be a pretty big fan. Go figure.

Actually, it was quite uncanny playing that show. When it came time to play Hooray For Andy Autio I was struck by how almost prophetic it was. I basically wrote that song about high school and how I miss it, the verse being: "Maybe we could feel young again, maybe we could have all our friends in one place at one time". Well, that was about as close as I think it might get, having half of Dalmeny out to see us play. It was also really great to finally have something to show for myself to so many people. It just seems like my dreams are being realized, considering the amount of hot air I used to blow about being a musician and all that. It's nice to finally have an outlet to prove it.

The rest of the tour was pretty rad, although, as with anything where you're driving for extended periods in a cramped truck with three or four other people, it did have it's difficult moments as well. The shows were all pretty cool, and even the one I considered to be worst (Edmonton, due to the fact that we were all really tired, I hadn't showered and was quite grumpy for it, and that everyone chose to sit and watch rather than get up and dance) ended up being pretty cool. The venue actually booked hotel rooms for us! I think we probably signed the most merch at the Edmonton show, even though I didn't think people were really into us. Just goes to show you never can tell. Oh, it was also great playing for my brother in Calgary. He came up to me afterwards and said, "I'm really fucking proud of you". Ha! That about made my night.

Thankfully Matt and I had the opportunity to entertain Simon for about a week after we got back as we picked him up in Calgary and he stayed at our place until the following Friday. It was just really great to have him around, and we got to have a talk that I very much needed to have, and I've been feeling better for it since.

Hmm, what else? Well, we played the most horrible show that at least I've ever played last Friday. See Matt's blog for his take if you like. It was at Richard's, which was kind of our dream venue to play when we first moved here, and we've now played it twice, both times being kind of sketchy. I was really tired to begin with, having gotten up at 5:30 that morning for work, so I wasn't really into it from the start. Then, about a quarter of the way through the second song in our set we were assaulted by the most piercing, ear-bleeding feedback I've ever heard in my life. We all had to stop playing and cover our ears to keep them from exploding. We tried a second time and the same thing happened, so the soundman had to run onstage while we stood around looking foolish, and figure out the problem. Things just went downhill from there for me, with more obvious screwups than I think I've ever made. I was inventing "new" parts to Can She Play Guitar to try cover up. Anyways, will wonders never cease, we seem to have impressed at least a few people, most of which I don't think had heard us before (including the owner of Mint Records), so at least there's that. It always amazes me how people respond even to what I consider to be our worst shows. Thank God, cause it certainly has nothing to do with me. I'd say it's despite me, in those cases.

Ok, I'm almost done here. Last item of interest: I just had a pretty wicked staff party on Monday. I work at a ski mountain up here, and for our party they closed the Chalet so that we could have somewhere to hang out. They hired some DJs that played a selection similar to that you would have heard at one of our high school dances (which I consider a good thing, don't get me wrong!), so I had the opportunity to bust out, which is always a pleasure. I think I kind of surprised most of the people I work with, because usually I decline their offers to go to the bar and party, so I think they figured I was kind of quiet and reserved or something. Heh. What can I say? I love to dance. I didn't actually get home until about 8:30 the next morning, actually. Now that's a party!

Anywho, I guess that's it for now. Who knows what else I'll be able to comment on in the coming month? We'll find out, I guess. Life. What an adventure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home