Monday, November 07, 2005

Half a World Away

It's currently 6:30ish PM Monday night (my day off), and I'm sitting at my computer surrounded by the disaster that is my room (no wonder Matt shuts my door) listening to Kylie Minogue. I just had a Twix bar and Ginger Ale for supper. Could I be any more a hopeless bachelor?

Thankfully I do have something to show for myself today, however, namely a few loads of clean laundry, some experience playing guitar through my new cabinet (which is sexier than I can even describe) and this kicking mix I cooked up for our tour (I'm now listening to a Jamiroquai track - this ride's gon' be bumpin'!).

Had a pretty amazing time yesterday after finally hanging out with Jesse again after about three weeks of not seeing or hearing from him. He woke me up mid David Lynchian-dream at 11:30 in the morning wondering if he could invite himself to our practice that afternoon. He was just on his way to church at Willingdon, which is the massive church I was going to on occasion when we lived in Burnaby. I decided to pull my lazy carcass out of bed and threw some clothes on, jumped in the car and met him there (smelling none too nice, I don't suppose). The sermon was encouraging. It reminded me that I'm unique and have giftings particular to only myself. It also reassured me that when it all comes down to it it's about Christ and Christ crucified. I've felt so out of sorts with religion lately that it's nice to have a bottom line, and one that I believe in.

Anyways, we had practice, the first hour of which I was really excited for, I think partially due to the revelation I had about my "gifts" during the sermon. The rest of the practice was ok, although somewhere along the line my pride was bruised and my enthusiasm flagged a little. Man, what an interesting dynamic it is to be in a band, let alone a band with two very strong-willed women. Four way marriage is how I liken it. (May I point out that now I'm listening to Daft Punk - dang, this is a good mix!).

So after practice Matt, Jesse and I hung out in our living room drinking Ginger Ale and Jack Daniel's (props to Bono for that one), reminiscing about our Dalmeny days. I would definitely have to say that thus far in my short life, those were the most amazing parts of it. Upwards and onwards, let's hope.

Matt retired earlier than Jesse and I, so I drove Jesse home and we hung out in his room musing. Seriously, I am so thankful that I got to hang out with him. Thank God, honestly. I was out with Ruth Ann Saturday night, and she made an interesting point about the best friends being the ones that asked the same questions. That's exactly what Jesse and I were doing. I was actually astounded by how similar his "questions" are to my own. I thought I was alone in my crazy searching, but he nailed it on the head better than anyone else I've talked to lately. Questions about God, life, religion, etc. I also had some really good, geniune laughs with that guy.

Anyways, thank God for His good graces in providing me with such a friend. God is good. I don't know Him like I thought, but He's definitely good.

Yeah, so we're leaving for our tour on Saturday, the first stop being Kelowna. We're also playing a show at the Mesa Luna, an all ages club out here, on Wednesday. Should be fun, but dang if it hasn't been a long time since we last played for an audience. We're headlining, no less. Best not to think too much about it or I'll get the farts.

I'm really looking forward to going to Saskatchewan and seeing my friends and family. I'm also very excited about having Simon come back with us (oh God, please let it be so).

And so, to those of you who read this and dwell in the praries, I look forward to seeing you soon.

1 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, Blogger Linoleum said...

it was great to see you, cameron!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home