Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Randomness

Yeah, so I literally do NOTHING at my job. Honestly, I don't do anything. This is what I do. I sit on the computer for 8 hours, or read a book for 8 hours, or stare blankly for interminable periods. Really, I can't say as I'm complaining, seeing as I'm getting paid for it, but, still, I can't help but think were I with the band at Bully's my days would be a lot more productive.

So... what's been going on lately. Well, Thanksgiving was fun. Matt and Amelia cooked a turkey and a bunch of us displaced Saskwatches (and their girlfriends) got together and we had a "family dinner" of sorts. Unfortunately Char couldn't make it because she was sick, and Tiff wasn't there because she's in Cali right now.

Other than that, well, I feel like I've finally gotten back on the horse (figuratively speaking, of course). For some reason I just got this incredible fit of inspiration with a new song I just started writing and ended up setting all my recording gear up in the living room and just having at it. It wasn't a hassle, a pain, or a nuisance, it was a really good experience. I really hope this keeps up.

I also just received an email from another Vancouver band that wants me to play guitar and keys for them. I said I'd be interested if it didn't conflict with Bella. Interesting, indeed. Anything to start making money elsewhere in order that I might start doing what I love for a living.

Mmm, yes, and I'm super excited about my amp. I ordered some parts off the Internet which are supposed to make it amazing, so I took it in last Saturday to get it set up by this electronic genius, Ho. If you remember the movie Gremlins, he reminded me of the guy that sold that dude's dad the mogwai. Anyways, after the mods I'm going from a 30W Amp to a 50W. I've been looking around for speaker cabs to put this thing through so as not to blow the speakers that are in there right now. Yeah, that probably all sounds pretty boring, and I'm skimming as it is, but I'm stoked.

Anywho, that's about it for right now, I guess. Oh yeah, I started playing in the worship band at the church I'm going to. Weird. It's like returning to this other world that I used to be a part of. Part of me is so tempted to just give in and conform to church culture, but that's just exactly what it is - culture. You don't need to listen to Shane & Shane or Matt Redman to be a Christian. Nor do you need to drink coffee or have picnics in the park, or wear funny ties or something. To conform is just to place my hope in that culture and cease thinking for myself - allow others to make decisions for me. Don't get me wrong, "church" definitely has it's place, and I don't mean to criticize. Hmm, what is the point I'm trying to make here? Well, I guess that I've felt a bit out of sorts with God lately, and so going to church I feel like maybe if I immersed myself in church culture I'd suddenly be the Christian I'm supposed to be, but like I say, no, I don't think that's the case. It's just a security blanket thing. I think I'm "good" because I'm acting "good", hanging around with "good" people. But does it really make any difference? Can't I be a Christian just as well if I'm playing a show at a club? Different culture, same Christ. Ruth Ann and I were talking about this after dinner on Monday, discussing how church should is more of a support thing. It's a, "Hey, we're not alone in this" thing. It really reminded me of that Bible study we had going in Grade Twelve. That was basically the point. Why fight it alone when you're surrounded by a bunch of other people that share similar beliefs. That's as close as I've ever gotten to real church, in my mind, and it was good.

Anywho, those are just the random thoughts/goings on in my life lately. It's been a while since I last wrote in here. More later, I assume?

1 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cam... Surprise surprise! Your high school buddy's little sister stumbled upon your blog! And I would have just read it and been on my way, except that you mentioned your high school Bible study, and I feel like I could really use a dose of that right now (I'm living in Winnipeg, and feeling very much alone on this rainy morning). Those were the days, hey? Take care of yourself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home