Monday, November 12, 2007

Backstreet's Back (Alright)

Well, I made it back to Vancouver in one piece (barely - man was I hung over the day of my flight). I must say that it was quite nice to come back to somewhere familiar and be able to sleep in my own bed (bedbugs or no), not to mention showering in a normal shower. Matt had the weirdest "shower" at his place I've ever had to use. Apparently it's European, but I'd sooner call it annoying. It's basically a big bath tub with a hose thing like you see on some kitchen sinks that you have to hold whilst you attempt to lather up and all that. I just ended up turning on the bathtub faucet and sitting under it, trying to get wet. I never thought being able to stand in a shower would seem like such a luxury.

So, on my first full day back I managed to get up relatively early (seeing as I'm still on Eastern time), play a lot of guitar, nearly nail down that Pussycat Dolls cover I'm attempting, get groceries (consisting mainly of olives, Triscuits and wine), and record my new Starflyer vinyls onto my computer. I also pulled out my Vox amp modeler that I bought back in Burnaby. Cleaning my apartment is on the schedule for tomorrow, but Char says she might be able to get me some work as an extra for a TV show tomorrow, so we'll see. Making any sort of income would be nice, especially seeing as I've vowed not to get another day job if at all possible.

Speaking of which, I'm really, really trying to get my own stuff going, and will hopefully play a couple open mic nights while I'm in Vancouver these next couple of weeks. I'll get out there, play a few songs of my own, and see how things go. I feel like I might finally have the motivation to do my own stuff that I've been lacking up to this point. I guess I need to have someone light a fire under my ass to get me going, and it feels like maybe the whole quitting my job and needing to find a way to exist might be just such a fire. God help me, but I really want to make this work. As I think I mentioned in previous posts, quitting my job and getting out there feels like about the best thing I could have done for myself.

I think that's about it for tonight. I'm feeling pretty tired, so I think I'll retire and maybe read a bit of my Algernon Blackwood book before I fall asleep. Nothing like tales of the Mysterious and Macabre to give a guy pleasant dreams.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home