Saturday, August 21, 2004

Butterfly Effect? Mothman Prophecies? Qu'est-ce que c'est?

Just finished watching The Butterfly Effect with Matt, Amelia and Jesse. I'm not entirely sure what I think of the movie, although it is causing me to contemplate a little more thoroughly than usual how Choice works in life. Interesting...

Anyway, I had a bit of a surreal experience of my own just now, as I came directly to my computer after the movie finished to listen to the two song ideas I just recorded this evening. There's a magical time for me as a songwriter when I first listen to whatever idea I've recently recorded after giving it a bit of time to percolate and I've forgotten how it goes. It's really the only time I'm able to approach a song from a purely objective standpoint, as after those intial one or two listens after I hear it again the songs re-enter my brain as my own ideas and I'm no longer able to listen to them as someone who didn't write them.

Well, upon review of these recent ideas, I must say that I'm pleased, if not a bit surprised at what I wrote. Both ideas came to me as I listened to the new Weakerthans album while riding the bus home from work this afternoon. The Weakerthans are just such a great band for their lyrics that I can't help but to be inspired to write my own music while listening. Due to this, I rushed home from my stop and was able to quickly jot down all three ideas I had before they escaped me. I promptly pulled out my guitar and turned the first idea into a song. If only it were always that easy. At any rate, I ended up figuring several harmonies out for both the bridge and chorus of the song, so it came out as this layered, older sounding thing, somewhat akin to perhaps Buffalo Springfield/Teenage Fanclub/Tom Petty. Yeah, like I said, I was surprised to hear it. It's a nice little piece at just under two minutes. We'll see what happens to that.

The other idea remained a lot more an idea than a realized song as the other one became, but it's in the vein of the stuff I like to call "Lonsdale Quay" (that's pronounced "kway" for all you detractors out there!). Weird rhythm to that one, but I like it because it kind of throws you off and surprises you (or at least it surprised me).

Anyways, that's as much as I'm going to boast about my own song writing for this evening (despite that I wasn't really boasting... you get the picture). I have to work tomorrow morning, so I think I'll get off this confounded machine and get some sleep. Good night all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home